Bangor Public Library, 1970: A Photographic Tour

Items

Linda Webb, Circulation Desk Assistant
Linda Webb, Circulation Desk Assistant
Mrs. Linda Webb, circulation desk assistant, shelves one of the many books that has been returned from circulation.
Lee Leighton, Circulation Assistant
Lee Leighton, Circulation Assistant
With four floors of old stacks and two floors of new, it is apparent that a considerable amount of walking is required of the circulation assistants. Lee Leighton, part-time assistant, returns from the stacks with a patron's selection of books.
Circulation Desk in 1970
Circulation Desk in 1970
At the circulation desk, First Assistant Mrs. Carol Phelps using the new charge out machine checks out books to a patron, while a young man waits for his book selections to be brought from the closed stacks behind the circulatión desk.
Main Lobby in 1970
Main Lobby in 1970
The large main lobby contains the public card catalog on the left, the circulation desk in the background and several thousand of the newer fiction and nonfiction books available for circulation.
Mr. Wakefield Opens the Door
Mr. Wakefield Opens the Door
Mr. Wakefield, a regular library patron, opens the door to a world of over 429,000 books on every subject imaginable from Abbeys to Zuni Indians.
Bangor Public Library in 1970
Bangor Public Library in 1970
Bangor Public Library founded in 1883 opened its doors on Harlow Street on December 20, 1913. The main building houses three public service departments--Circulation, Children's and Reference. Behind the scenes departments include Office personnel, Accessions and Classification Department, Catalog Department, Periodicals and Binding Department and Extension Department. The stacks are located at the rear of the building.