Art Work of Bangor, 1895

Items

French Street, Bangor
French Street, Bangor
St. John’s Episcopal church is the gothic structure on French street, near Somerset, and was built in 1837 by the society organized two years previously. Rev. John McGaw Foster, the rector, is the only native of Bangor settled over a Bangor church.
Court House and Jail, Bangor
Court House and Jail, Bangor
Farther up Hammond street, at the corner of Court, are the county buildings. These include the court house and the substantial granite and brick building containing the jail and sheriffs dwelling. A large brick building attached is the jail workshop, where the inmates are given something to keep them busy.
A View from Lovers' Leap, Bangor
A View from Lovers' Leap, Bangor
The next mill erected was five years or so later when Joseph Potter built a mill at the falls near “Lover’s Leap,” on the Kenduskeag stream. This was on the falls where Morse & Co’s salt mill now stands and where for many years stood what was known as McQuesten’s Mills.
St. Xavier's Academy
St. Xavier's Academy
In 1879, the beautiful Schwartz residence on State street, which had passed from the family, was purchased by this society and became the Convent of St. Xavier, where a parochial school is conducted by the Sisters of Mercy.