Explore history through the digital collections of the Bangor Public Library and our community partners in Bangor, Maine
Art Work of Bangor, 1895
Title
Art Work of Bangor, 1895
Description
Views of Bangor, Orono, Veazie, Hampden, and Brewer including buildings, streets, and landscapes. "Art Work of Bangor" was a photobook issued in 12 parts published by W.H. Parish Publishing Co., which produced a 150 similar titles in a landmark collotype series between 1891 and 1930.
The two Catholic churches are the largest and finest in the city, and as one comes up the Penobscot their lofty spires are prominent objects. The first Catholic church, St. Michael’s, was built in 1836, on court street, but the rapid increase in worshipers overflowed the wooden church and in 1855 the cornerstone of the beautiful gothic church on York street, St. John’s, was laid. The building is of brick with beautiful interior finishings and pictorial windows, and seats 1,100. It cost $100,000, and the pastor, who has held that position since 1874, is Rev. Edward McSweeney ... St. Mary’s was formed because of the large parish included in St. John’s and occupies the fine edifice on Cedar street, facing Davenport park. This building was erected in 1872 at an expense of $70,000, the pastor' being the Rt. Rev. M. C. O’Brien, now Vicar General of the diocese of Maine. Near by, on First street, a handsome stone building has been recently constructed for the parochial school, which for some years held its sessions in the basement of the church.
Through our water works Bangor has a practically inexhaustible quantity of water with which, with an excellent fire department and 182 hydrants, to drown out almost any fire before it can extend beyond the building where it originated. As a consequence the losses by fire are very small and the insurance rates low.
Grace Methodist church is situated at the corner of Union and Clinton streets, the society of which was organized in 1846. The building was erected in 1854 and Rev. H. E. Foss is pastor. | The Universalist church is a fine brick structure occupying a delightful situation at the head of Center Park, and looking down the park into East Market square and Exchange street. The church was organized in 1838, and the present pastor is Rev. Elmer F. Pember. In the tall spire of this church is the first illuminated clock Bangor has had, put in in 1882.